Putting it all together
You now need to write a report which explains the relationships between the organisations involved in tourism development in your chosen UK destination. Study the account of tourism development in Dublin (Resource 7) to see what you should aim to produce.
Before you begin writing your report you should consider carefully the research you will need to undertake. You will need to look at a range of websites which are relevant to tourism in your chosen destination. Think about the following points.
- Often the website will have a section (often at the bottom) entitled ‘about us’ or ‘who we are’. This will help you to understand more about the organisation and what its objectives are.
- See if you can find a list of the partners of the organisation. That will help you to explain and give examples of relationships between organisations in your destination.
- There’s no reason why you cannot copy and paste a few quotes, images or data, if you think they are relevant, but most of the report should be your own work! You could make a list of the websites you use.
- See if you can find a tourism plan for the destination produced by the local authority. Some bits of that are sure to be relevant.
Your work should focus on three things:
- The roles of different organisations involved in tourism development in your chosen destination.
- The relationships and partnerships between the various organisations.
- An explanation of how these organisations are working to improve the appeal of the destination for tourists.
Remember, tourism development projects do not have to be large scale. They can be small changes which will make a difference to some groups of tourists.
In thinking about the tourism development projects you might like to write about, consider:
- Developments which have happened in the last two or three years which have increased the appeal of the destination
- Development projects which are taking place at the present time
- Development projects proposed or planned for the near future
You should also ensure you include information about the different components of the tourism industry working in your destination which could include:
- Transport organisations
- Accommodation providers
- Tourist boards and DMOs
- Local authorities
- Pressure groups
The best way to structure your report is to write two or three paragraphs about organisations in each of the groups above.