Mystery clothes shopping
Mystery shopping is a means of collecting information about the customer experience which is used in a range of industries, not just tourism.
The next time you go shopping for an item of clothing, see how many of the questions in the checklist below you can answer.
- Were you acknowledged by an assistant within 30 seconds of entering the store?
- When you were greeted, what was said?
- Did the assistant member smile?
- Did the assistant offer you help?
- Did the assistant offer you an additional item?
- Did the assistant give you his/her undivided attention?
- Did all assistants you came in contact with have an upbeat and friendly tone?
- Were any assistants rude or discourteous?
- Did any assistant provide above-and-beyond service?
- Did the assistant provide a pleasant closing comment (“Have a good day,” “Thanks for shopping with us,” “Thank you,” etc.)?
- Did the cashier greet/acknowledge you the moment you reached the counter?
- Did the cashier ask if you found everything?
- Did the cashier thank you at the end of your transaction?
- Was every item you wanted to purchase available?
- How long did your transaction take from the time you reached the counter until you received your receipt?
Summarise your experience of the last time you bought items of clothing. Was your customer experience good or bad? Explain why.