Where a place is
The location of a tourism destination is essentially it’s geographical position. Quite simply, where it is …
The location of a destination can be described by:
- Identifying how far it is from other towns and cities and areas
- Saying whether it is on the coast, near the coast or on a major river
- Using the points of the compass
- Saying how far it is from a motorway, main road or railway station
- Saying how long it takes to get there
The location of a destination can also be described by saying how long it takes to get there by different forms of transport.
So, how could you describe the location of Alton Towers?
‘Alton Towers is situated in the heart of the UK within the county of Staffordshire and near the cities of Manchester and Birmingham. It takes about 3 hours to drive the 150 miles to Alton Towers from London or Cardiff; it’s about 50 miles south of Manchester. The nearest railway station is at Uttoxeter, and a 40-minute bus ride away. It’s about 30 miles from Junction 23 of the M1 and about the same distance from Junction 15 of the M6.