Tourist Information Centres are one of the most important facilities within the UK tourist industry and often act as the first point of contact for thousands of visitors who rely on them for up-to-date information and advice about the destination they are visiting.
TICs are usually funded by the local council and their staff have detailed knowledge about the local area.
The products and services provided by TICs include:
- Free visitor maps
- Leaflets about attractions and events
- Visitor Cards which allow discount in some shops, attractions and restaurants
- A multilingual staff to offer advice
- Ticket sales to popular attractions
- Ticket sales to tourist transport within the destination
- A gift shop selling souvenirs and locally-produced gifts.