Mystery shopping is a means of collecting information about the customer experience which is used in a range of industries, not just tourism.
The next time you go shopping for an item of clothing, see how many of the questions in the checklist below you can answer.
- Were you acknowledged by an assistant within 30 seconds of entering the store?
- When you were greeted, what was said?
- Did the assistant member smile?
- Did the assistant offer you help?
- Did the assistant offer you an additional item?
- Did the assistant give you his/her undivided attention?
- Did all assistants you came in contact with have an upbeat and friendly tone?
- Were any assistants rude or discourteous?
- Did any assistant provide above-and-beyond service?
- Did the assistant provide a pleasant closing comment (“Have a good day,” “Thanks for shopping with us,” “Thank you,” etc.)?
- Did the cashier greet/acknowledge you the moment you reached the counter?
- Did the cashier ask if you found everything?
- Did the cashier thank you at the end of your transaction?
- Was every item you wanted to purchase available?
- How long did your transaction take from the time you reached the counter until you received your receipt?